Monday, June 05, 2006

Offline for awhile

Dear Readers,
We are sorry we have not posted updates for awhile and are sad to report another delay ahead. As many of you may know after speaking with Kevin or other family members about the cancellation of Isabella's birthday party, Jennifer has been very sick.

She was admitted to Akron General Medical Center May 19 with breathing problems. After many tests doctors discovered a bacterial infection in the lining of her chest wall. But that wasn't all. She had a badly infected gallbladder full of stones. She had complained of stomach aches in the previous weeks and had tests scheduled for May 21. She didn't make it for those tests.

Her doctor scheduled an emergency surgery to remove the gallbladder. But again that wasn't the end. While in pre-surgery, Jennifer pointed out a lump in her throat to her surgeon. With no fever and no other symptoms, doctors proceeded with the surgery. However, later that day, Jennifer spiked a fever of 103 degrees. For three days, doctors did tests to figure out why her fever was so high and rising. Packed in ice to cool her down, Jennifer told doctor's of her sore throat as it swelled and swelled to no throat at all.

After numerous specialist consulted on her case, an ENT discovered an infected bronchial cyst in her right lymph nodes. Hoping that antibiotics would cure the infection, doctors watched her progress. The fever and much of the swelling subsided so doctors released her at 2 p.m. May 27 (Kevin's 30th birthday).

Within an hour of being home, Jennifer's throat began to swell and her fever began to rise. At 4:41 p.m. May 27 she was readmitted to Akron General.

The next morning doctor's performed a radiological drainage of the bronchial cyst to relieve some of the pressure in hopes antibiotics could kick the rest of the infection out. But that wasn't the only thing Jennifer was fighting. Later that day, her infectious disease doctor informed us that Jennifer was also fighting Mono. We were informed that she was well past the age group to contract this disease but with her weakened immune system couldn't fight it off.

No luck as Jennifer underwent another surgery as doctors inserted a drainage tube in her neck. For two days doctors watched as little fluid drained from the tube so another procedure was performed to insert a new tube which remains in place today.

Jennifer was released this weekend to her parents' care. She and Isabella have moved in with them as Jennifer recovers (and sleeps - The Mono has her so drained she's only awake about 6-8 hours a day.) She meets with her ENT today to discuss the next step. Her I.D. doctor's are in touch with her and will see her later this week. Her surgeon will meet with her next week to check on her gallbladder incisions.

When we set a new date for Isabella's party, we will let everyone know. Thank you for understanding when we had to postpone.

Thank you, too, for all the well-wishes and prayers.


Anonymous said...

Jen & Kevin-
Our thoughts and prayers are with both of you. We hope for a speedy recovery. If your family needs any help please call us.
Love, Terri & Mike

graphix said...

Jennifer & Kevin,

So sorry to hear all that has been going on. Know that you are in our thoughts and prayers daily!

Teresa Pace

Laura said...

Hope you are feeling better at "home" with your parents, Jen. Sending you lots of hugs and prayers!!

Anonymous said...

Dearest Kevin, Jennifer, Isabella, and All of the Family,

We are so glad to learn that you are home from the hospital!

Tim and Linda sent out an early e-mail this morning telling us that you were at home with your parents resting. We weren't aware of your further complications with Mono until reading Linda's e-mail she had received this morning from Grandma and Grandpa Kramer. Please trust that you and your entire family are in our thoughts and in our prayers.

Always in Jesus' love and ours,
Joe and Karen

Anonymous said...

Jen, kevin, and family--

My thoughts and prayers are with you all!
Please let me know if I can help in anyway..

Chris Haynes

Anonymous said...

Prayers and wishes for a healthy recovery.
LaVella Family

Anonymous said...


Oh, my, gosh! We heard you were ill but had no idea of all that you had been through. Take good care of yourself -- hope you are able to get lots of rest. We will keep you in our prayers & look forward to seeing the 3 of you when you're recovered!
Cousins Val, Tom & family

Anonymous said...

Jennifer - please know that you are in our thoughts and prayers also. What a terrible time you are having. I'm sure that you will be back to yourself in no time. Just take it easy and let others help you!

The Oswitches

Carrie said...

Holy Cow! Sure hope the sleep and "mom care" is doing the trick. Even moms need moms sometimes. Be good to yourself!

Fondly Carrie

Anonymous said...

Great site loved it alot, will come back and visit again.

Anonymous said...

Super color scheme, I like it! Good job. Go on.

Anonymous said...

I find some information here.

Anonymous said...

Hmm I love the idea behind this website, very unique.

Anonymous said...

Looks nice! Awesome content. Good job guys.