Sunday, January 20, 2008

To Catch a Baby Broker

The title of the Dateline NBC program says it all...or does it?

Dateline examined the corrupt Guatemalan adoption system tonight just weeks after the country was officially closed for international adoption. You can check out the transcripts online at To Catch a Baby Broker.

Remember though, as you read, that the story is aimed to show the horrors of this corrupt system. For instance, at the very start of the program, the program reports:
"I knew the second I saw her, that - that was our little girl. But was she? There's so much the camera does not reveal, especially in the sometimes secretive and shadowy world of international adoption."

And that's what the rest reveals.

It pains me that it has come to this -- the secret investigations, the heart-wrenching stories of betrayal and loss, the abandoned children who will never know the love of a family.

I know that is it important that we "call out" the corruption but at what cost? Is it worth stopping the 3,000 open Guatemalan adoption cases, in which, now those children will suffer in orphanages without loving homes?

My heart aches for Jason and Jennell who appeared in the episode and for all the parents who are waiting to bring their babies home.

I've emailed my thoughts on this to msnbc.com and have posted a story about our adoption, along with a family photo, on the site to show that good adoptions happen, too.

One in three people is touched by adoption. We are a community. We have to share the message -- of struggle, of hope and of love.

If you want to help spread the message, start here by posting a comment on this blog who is read by more than 100 people each day.

We can make a difference one message at a time!

2 comments:

The Kramer's said...

Jennifer,
Thank you so much for that post! It really was an eye opener, and your right, my heart goes out to that couple! I am glad you emailed msnbc b/c your adoption story is a postive one! Look at the beautiful little girl you guys have! I think anyone who was considering adoption would find so much straight forward information from your blog! I am sure you have helped many couples! I can't imagine a day without Miss. Isabella!! :-) And am so thankful she is home! We love you all!

Julie Madera said...

Chris and I watched a little bit of that last night too. I even said to Chris, "I wonder if Jen knows this is on"? I thought it was so sad, but at the same time I couldn't help but think how lucky you and Kevin got with Isabella. How lucky we ALL got. I couldn't imagine her not in our lives. You guys have such a great story that ended in pure happiness.
We love you all so much!