Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Vacation Post #2 - Sunday

So we all got to bed really late and hoped to sleep in, but with three toddlers in the condo, we should have known better. We were all up and dressed and eating breakfast before 9:15 am (for those of you that know me that is really early for me and Isabella who usually sleep until about 10 am). When we got out of bed Kevin noticed a big dead spider in the center of our room. He wanted to me to throw it away so I picked it up in a Kleenex and flushed it down the toilet.

The girls all were so excited to go swimming in the pool. Aunt TT got her girls moving faster than me so she headed down to the pool before 10 am. I got Isabella dressed in her suit and started to head down to the pool when I noticed something on Isabella's arm. In the sunlight, I noticed two bug bites on her right arm that had swollen to the size of a baseball. I examined her other arm and found another bite, swollen, but not as bad. I immediately took her back to the condo and showed Kevin who immediately grabbed her up and said to get in the car. We were heading to the hospital. Grandma came, too, since she knew the way.

We only waited about 20 minutes in the waiting room before being taken to see a nurse who did an initial workup and sent us to a room the room where we waited nearly three hours to see a doctor. We never really even saw a doctor but a physician's assistant who examined Isabella's bites and prescribed Benadyrl and Prednesone for 4 days. She said if the bites became infected to start her on the antibiotic she prescribed and to return ASAP.

After another 30 minutes of waiting for the first doses of drugs, a nurse came in with what appeared to be two large syringes - at least they looked like that to Isabella who immediately started screaming. It took two of us to hold her down and another one of us to "shoot" the meds down her throat. Most of the meds got in her hair and on her clothes but enough get in to help.

While we were at the hospital Papa Al was on the phone with the rental place to get someone in to clean the condo of bugs and dirt. When a housekeeping lady told him we should move, he immediately got with the rental people and got us two side-by-side rentals - which turned out to be bigger and much, much nicer than the first one.

We headed back to the condo by 1:30 pm, just in time for lunch. While the other girls napped, I took a very tired Isabella who refused to lay down to the pool for some girl time. After moving to the new condos, Aunt TT and I went grocery shopping and filled Isabella's prescriptions before helping to make spaghetti for dinner.

That evening we all headed to the beach for a nice evening walk and romp in the very warm water!

1 comment:

Laura said...

Can't you guys ever catch a break on vacation? Someone is always sick or needs medical attention, I swear! :(